FCC

Pipe Organ

The Pipe Organ at First Church Congregational of Painesville

History

The present pipe organ at First Church was installed in 1951. Prior to that time, the church, which was then Presbyterian, housed an organ constructed by the Garrett House of Buffalo. This organ was dedicated on May 7, 1863, shortly after the cornerstone of the church was laid (1862). It contained two manuals and 20 stops, only one of which was a reed (oboe).  In 1868, First Church left the Presbyterian Church and joined the Congregationalist denomination in support of their strong opposition to slavery.

The present sanctuary organ at First Church, Congregational was built by the Boston-based Aolian-Skinner organ company in 1951. It is one of three Skinner organs in the City of Painesville. The other two are the 32-rank Opus 608 built for St. James Episcopal Church in 1926 and the 66-rank Opus 647 built for Lake Erie College in 1927.

The Aeolian-Skinner organ at First Church was installed by George Eisel and Donald Gillete with the final voicing being completed by the firm’s legendary president, G. Donald Harrison. It was installed as a part of a $45,000 remodeling program and dedicated in recital by Robert M. Stofer, former organist at Church of the Covenant, Cleveland. Chimes were donated to the organ in 1960 in memory of Milton J. Ludwig. The Zimbelstern was later donated in memory of Judith Metz by Fred Metz. The organ was completely refurbished in the 90’s using some of the pipes and wood from the original organ.

The organist is Ginny Roedig, AAGO

The Aolian_Skinner Organ Opus 1144

No. manuals:           3

No. stops:             42

No. ranks:             44

No. pipes:             2,491

Specification

Great

16′     Quintaten              61

8′      Principal              61

8′      Gedeckt                61

4′      Octave                 61

4′      Flute Harmonique       61

2 2/3′ Twelfth                61

2′      Fifteenth              61

III-IV  Fourniture             226

Swell

16′     Gedeckt                68

8′      Geigen                 68

8′      Rohrflote              68

8′      Viole de Gambe         68

8′      Viole Celeste          56

4′      Geigen Octave          68

4′      Flute Triangulaire     68

2′      Flautino               61

III     Plein Jeu              183

16′     Fagotto                68

8′      Trompette              68

4′      Hautbois               68

Tremulant

Choir

8′      Nason Flute            68

8′      Dulciana               68

4′      Prestant               68

4′      Nachthorn              68

2 2/3′ Nazard                 61

2′      Blockflote             61

1 3/5′ Tierce                 61

1 1/3′ Larigot                61

8′      Krummhorn              68

Tremulant

Pedal

32’     Resultant

16′     Contre Basse           32

16′     Bourdon                32

16′     Quintaten              GT

16′     Gedeckt                SW

8′      Octave                 32

8′      Bourdon                12

8′      Quintaten              GT

4′      Choralbass             32

4′      Flute                  12

III     Fourniture             96

16′     Bombarde               32

8′      Trompette              12

4′      Krummhorn              CH

 

 

Archives
Worship Services

9:00 a.m.   Contemporary
11:00 a.m. Sunday School
11:00 a.m. Traditional

First Church Congregational
22 Liberty St
Painesville, OH 44077
(440) 357-7518
Map